Welcome to the urban rice ball, my first foray into the wonderful world of blogging. I’m very excited about this — more so for recording all the abnormal events of my very normal life. I’m not sure I expect anyone to really read this (other than those that I threaten with “Read it, or else…ROAR”). First thing’s first — an explanation of the blog name:
urban – I live in NYC. I also like zippers…they seem innately urban to me.
rice ball – I am Filipino, we love rice in all its forms (ball, pyramid, cube, just plain grains, etc.)
Also for a short period of time Mr. S called me “my little rice ball” as a term of endearment. As most terms of endearment go, it lost its luster and/or is used only in times of desperation.
I just told Mr. S my clever blog name and he said “Sounds like a food blog.” Crap. Well that was not my intention. I do love food, so while it may have a co-starring role on this blog, it will definitely be part of an ensemble cast, not the diva star of the show.
What else is typical first blog fodder besides my geographic location and race? … … … Huh, this could be harder than I thought. How about one of those “25 things you don’t know about me” lists (a la Us Weekly) to break the ice.
- I’m allergic to dogs This is problematic because I really like them and want one really badly. I scour petfinder.com frequently for my future pup. Last month I fell in love with Tommy the Brown Pitbull, but he was recently adopted (still bittersweet for me). During my searches, I always forget that I am allergic to dogs.
- I only like big dogs. Small dogs just don’t do it for me. I’d rather have no dog than a small dog. When I am on petfinder.com, I always pretend I live in a 2,000 square foot loft penthouse apartment. I rarely pretend that I am not allergic because I forget that I am allergic.
- I really live in a”2-room studio.” This is a NYC real estate/Craigslist marketing ploy. We (Mr. S and I) live in a studio, period (definitely < 500 sq. ft). Granted, it has a sort of archway delineating the bedroom area from the living room area, but no actual door separating the two “rooms”. Despite this, I love our studio. Except for it’s “No Pets” policy. Bah humbug.
- By day, I am an accountant. BO-RING.
- By night, I am a zumba freak, or
- By night, I am a artiste (oil paints are the current medium of choice), or
- By night, I am a couch potato
- This goes without saying — I love living in NYC. Sometimes when I’m walking down the street I think “I can’t believe I really live here it’s so amazing and fun and exciting and perfect and alkdjfaoeijafskdlf!!.” When people say, “NYC’s fun, but I can never see myself living here,” I re-evaluate our current/future friendship.
- I get high off of bargain shopping. I despise buying full price. Loehmann’s is my mecca.
- I truly believe in “the more you buy, the more you save.” Case in point — during a trip to SYMS (rest in peace), I found a coat that retailed for $1,000; SYMS price $400. If I buy the coat, I save $600, but if I do not buy the coat I only save $400. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
- I like ramen, all kinds of ramen — cheap, expensive, and anything in between. Exception: for cheap ramen, I only like beef flavor. The color of chicken flavor is too radioactive for my liking.
How about let’s stop at 11 and just say we really did 25? New Girl is on and I have to watch it.